Keeping our people safe
Developing responsible and inclusive employment practices that ensure we have a high quality, engaged and healthy workforce to meet the current and future needs of the business. To learn more about our employee programmes, please visit Engaging Our Colleagues
2020 has raised an even greater focus on safety in the workplace as we were one of the first companies to put measures in place to deal with the threats from the pandemic. That’s not surprising; Unipart has won more awards for health and safety than almost any other company in the world.
In Unipart, we have taken action to protect all of our customers and our people in every way that we can from COVID-19. That has meant significant changes to the way in which we operate and our day-to-day behaviours. These are just some of the steps that we’ve taken and continue to observe in all our sites.
Our senior leaders review the situation on a daily conference call which we started well before the Government advised we were moving into the delay phase. Across the company, our people are working hard to formulate plans, share information and good practice and make decisions very quickly. Every function in our business now has COVID-19 plans in place to protect our customers, our people and our business.
- We’ve increased communication and education about the virus in all our sites to promote safe behaviours including the following:
- Continued and frequent handwashing and use of alcohol gel
- The introduction wherever possible of social distancing to keep people around two metres apart to reduce the risk of transmission
- Isolation of anyone returning from one of the countries on the government’s high-risk list.
- Cancelling and avoiding large gatherings of people such as conferences and exhibitions, and asking people to avoid business travel on London Underground to avoid being in close contact with large numbers of people.
- We’ve upgraded and increased the daily cleaning in our sites and provided hand gel, tissues and wipes for our people.
- We’re using video conferencing to enable people to meet without being in close proximity.
- We’re asking all critical visitors to Unipart sites to complete a screening form to reduce the potential of visitors transmitting the virus.
- We’ve also created an extensive website on Unipart Way Online to act as a roadmap to return for our colleagues.
Whether colleagues have been working on-site through lockdown, returning to work from furlough, or are working from home, the Roadmap to Return website is designed to help our people understand all the actions we are taking to keep colleagues safe, so they can be confident that this is our priority.
Roadmap to Return provides all the safe working advice and procedures people need both as an individual and as a team. Many of these have been developed, tried and tested, and continually improved using feedback from our colleagues who have been delivering essential services throughout lockdown.